[OPLINTECH] Upgrading computers at a branch location

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Thu Aug 22 10:25:35 EDT 2013

Fred
I guess I'm in my Dell phase, actually this is my third cycle so perhaps we're now a Dell shop. I did a public computer refresh including new 20" monitors and for the first time I actually bought new laptops. Good quality products, good price, and we seem to get really good service when necessary.
Machines are Windows 7, Office, Firefox, Chrome etc. This is the first cycle we're using a simple group policy and Deep Freeze and really like it, but we're not doing anything trick with it.
In a far simpler world, without all the "overheads" a library system imposes like reservation systems, pay-to-print, and filtering, I'd be jumping at a Linux LTSP solution built with a good server and 50 computers from Goodwill...but it's an imperfect world.
This is not an original quote, but something which has guided me for a number of years and that's that we're providing patrons with their only computer and it should be the best that it can possibly be.
Just my two cents.

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library