[OPLINTECH] Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade info

Dan Will willda at oplin.org
Thu Dec 26 13:23:06 EST 2013

Ed,
    I've read about Windows 8.1/ Microsoft account login screen. And yes you
can get around it by telling it you want to create a new account then using
the option to use a local account. It is undoubtedly one of the stupidest
tricks MS has tried on us. While MCDPL will remain pretty much a MS/Windows
library for our patrons (we do use Linux where applicable, though that is
generally behind the scenes). This little stunt along with the fact that
even If I have Windows 8 installed, I cannot simply do an in-place upgrade
to 8.1. The few benefits of 8.1 do not out-weigh having to do a clean
install of the OS. One other thing (yeah I know, there are more than one but
I'm disregarding the whole METRO issue), is the fact that Deep Freeze is
still in beta for 8/8.1. Our Staff are using 8 (with classic shell) just to
get used to it.

Dan Will
Technology Supervisor
Meigs County District Public Library
740.992.5813
Disclaimer: These are my opinions, not the MCDPL's. They are my 2¢ worth,
take them for what they are worth.