[OPLINTECH] Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade info

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu Dec 26 12:51:27 EST 2013

I upgraded a lenovo windows 8.0 pro computer to Windows 8.1. After the update was installed I was presented with some setup menus. After going through those, I am presented with a screen requiring a microsoft account and a link to use to create one if I don't have one. The screen has no way to get around doing this, no cancel button, or optioon to do it later. I backed out of the setup screens and then selected  that I wasn't the same user as the one logged into the computer that was on the first screen. After doing this I was then presented with the windows 8 log-in screen where I selected the local user account, typed in my password and I was able to get to the windows 8.1 desktop screen. I currently do not have the machine joined to the domain so I do not know if this user experience would be the same if it was joined to a domain before the update was performed.

I thought I would pass this info along so if anyone else had a similar experience it would help them get around creating a microsoft account after upgrading from windows 8.0 to windows 8.1.

-Ed Liddle

Marysville Public Library
http://marysvillelib.org