[OPLINTECH] What's your worst "head meets desk" moment?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Jan 16 15:50:34 EST 2013

My own "favorite" head-meets-desk moment was a complete Fail on my part
many years ago to diagnose an audio problem on my own laptop. Sound had
suddenly stopped working, but I didn't have a strong need to use it and so
wasn't in a hurry to get it fixed. Some few weeks passed and the one-year
warranty expiration was approaching, Because I used the laptop as my
primary work computer, it was an extreme inconvenience to be without it for
the one-to-two weeks round-trip it would take to/from the manufacturer.
Even so, I figured I probably ought to go ahead and send the laptop back to
have it fixed under warranty.

Fortunately, it arrived after only about one week. A standard repair slip
was included with the laptop to inform the end user (me) what repairs had
been made. Hand-written on the slip was simply, "Turned up volume control."
Not using audio all that much on the laptop, I had forgotten that there was
a small volume control on the side of the laptop. I'm sure the
manufacturer's service tech had a good laugh at my expense. My boss at the
time certainly did.

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*