[OPLINTECH] Traffic Shaping

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Jul 10 13:13:20 EDT 2013

So far, at all of the libraries I work with, we have NOT done any traffic
shaping other than to prioritize ILS traffic over all else. However, I've
always kept that as an option if the need really arises.

When it comes to blocking ports...I don't. I figure it's generally a losing
battle. Many (P2P, etc.) clients can easily use port 80 or 443 as an
alternate for their network needs when their typical ports are blocked,
bypassing any inbound/outbound restrictions you may place. In addition to
the extra admin time required to set up, maintain, monitor the blocks, you
could be preventing a businessperson from stopping by the library to use
the WiFi to VPN to his/her work network...

I keep Deep Freeze on all the patron computers and some patron computers
are more restricted than others, depending on the library. On some of the
computers, patrons might be able to install games for the duration of their
session. (Roblox seems pretty popular with the kids right now at some of my
libraries. It installs a client onto the computer.) I generally take the
approach that if the patron CAN...then go for it. If not...sorry 'bout your
luck, but we have to keep the computers safe for everyone. The policy seems
to have worked quite well for years now.

2 cents,

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*