[OPLINTECH] Office 2013, SkyDrive, & local policies

Phil Shirley pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Fri Jul 19 14:27:02 EDT 2013

What's your policy or practice regarding what staff can do with library
documents and data? What are your thoughts on this?

We're going to start using Office 2013, and I noticed that it encourages
you to use SkyDrive, Microsoft's cloud-based storage for documents, etc.

I like the idea of storing things on our server rather that in a
Microsoft account that only the individual has access to. The documents
that staff create belong to the library, not to the person, and if the
person leaves or is fired or is unable to return to work for whatever
reason, I think the library should have access to the documents the
person created. There's also the issue of handling sensitive data.

I'm considering disabling SkyDrive. I've heard that some organizations
do this in order to enforce their policies about data storage.

Phil
--

Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator