[OPLINTECH] Office 2013, SkyDrive, & local policies

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Jul 19 15:10:50 EDT 2013

Not to mention the whole privacy issue. Any data stored in the cloud is
potentially accessible via hosting company mistakes (I see reports of that
periodically), attacks, and (as recently come to light) it's apparently
freely/readily/automatically given to the government! Storing library
operational data is one thing, but you might think twice about storing any
patron-identifiable data.

For my own use, I map my data folder to Google Cloud, so my stuff is
automatically backed up to Google every time a file is changed. I find it
hugely convenient and reassuring that I have an up-to-the-second copy of my
data. However, I'm trying to find a good way to automatically
encrypt/decrypt the individual files on the fly. Security is my biggest
concern with the setup.

WRT your specific question, does perhaps SkyDrive have a method to force
individual users to store data in a shared (library-owned) repository, thus
eliminating the issues you're concerned about?

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*