[OPLINTECH] Windows 8

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Jun 11 13:06:16 EDT 2013

This isn't really a question for me, but since almost none of the smaller
rural libraries I know actually monitor this list, I'll just chime in to
say that none of the libraries I work with have Windows 8 yet. If any staff
happen to have Windows 8 experience of any sort, it'll be on their own time
with a computer they may have obtained on their own for personal use. So
staff support for Win8 will be nearly non-existent at my libraries.

That being said, however, I have a few libraries that are at a bit of a
crossroads here. They're running 6-7 year old computers and need to
upgrade. The big question, however, is:  Do we stick with the tried and
true Windows 7, or go with Windows 8 that has reportedly had a lower
adoption rate than even Windows Vista had? Since 6-8 years is the typical
useful lifespan of the computers I put out there in the libraries I
support, Windows 7 will be pretty darned old by then.

This seems to be a particularly bad time to buy new computers, what with
being stuck in the middle of a transition period between what seems to be
generally considered a good version of Windows and a version which seems to
be generally considered a not so good version. It's all reminiscent of the
whole Windows XP to Vista transition, only worse. I was able to skip Vista
entirely, but I don't think we're going to be so lucky this time around.
The best I might be able to do is to wait for the v8.1 "refresh".

Two cents,

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*