[OPLINTECH] Wireless Access Points

Chad Morris morrisch at oplin.org
Fri Mar 15 11:21:17 EDT 2013

Mike,

I have 3 Asus RT-N16 routers running DD-WRT custom firmware throughout the
Franklin Library and 1 at the Springboro branch. The DD-WRT firmware allows
me to configure the routers in a mesh network, while using the same SSID.
For instance, I have one router above our circulation desk near the ceiling,
one router at our reference desk, and one router in a conference room - they
all communicate with each other wirelessly and act as a repeater so no
matter where a device connects, the signal strength is excellent. If a
router would fail or need to be power cycled, the other two would still
communicate with each other.  I've had superb success with these routers,
they're built pretty solid. DD-WRT firmware is free but it doesn't come
stock with the routers. It needs to be installed and configured which could
take some time and patience. Once I put them it, I've never looked back.

Chad

Chad Morris

Technology Coordinator

Franklin-Springboro Public Library