[OPLINTECH] Potential Computer Vandalism

Ken Butler hcotech at holmeslib.org
Wed Nov 20 10:29:07 EST 2013

If the settings that password protect the hard drive are in the BIOS, I
would try removing the CMOS battery for a period of time - say half an hour
or more, and also pressing the power button while it is unplugged to clear
out any residual power in the system. Once it has been drained and the
battery removed for half an hour or more, try putting the battery back in
and see what you get. Removing power from the BIOS for a decent period of
time SHOULD revert all settings to default.

If the BIOS wasn't locked down, there is also the possibility that someone
actually flashed the BIOS with a different version. If what I mentioned
above doesn't work, I'm not sure what you could do other than talking to
your computer manufacturer to see if there are any back doors in the BIOS
that you can use, or if there is a way to flash the BIOS with the standard
version for that computer.

Ken Butler
hcotech at holmeslib.org
Head of Information Technology