[OPLINTECH] Potential Computer Vandalism

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Nov 20 10:41:03 EST 2013

> If the BIOS wasn't locked down, there is also the possibility that someone
> actually flashed the BIOS with a different version.

A comment on the above:  You don't need access to the BIOS to be able to
flash a new one. You can flash even a password protected BIOS. You simply
boot to a media that contains the BIOS you intend to flash and the
OS/program used to perform the actual flash.

On patron computer, it's always important to do the following in your BIOS
before the first patron ever touches it:
* Set your BIOS administrative password.
* Set the boot order to boot from the hard drive first or to boot ONLY from
the hard drive.
* Disable the ability to boot from removable media.

Those basic steps help to protect your patron computers at the "hardware"
level.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*