[OPLINTECH] Potential Computer Vandalism

Mike Hensel henselmi at oplin.org
Wed Nov 20 10:29:52 EST 2013

Nick:

I did clear the bios before I installed the new hard drive and I got the
same HD lock but when I put the new HD in - it worked.  Basically, whatever
the culprits did - it render the HD useless.

We have good knowledge that two youth were on the computers doing stuff that
was out of the normal use of our computers but I'm still not sure how they
compromised them other than setting a password to gain access to the HD.
It appears they could have tapped into the Dell Security Manager system
which will only give access to an HD with a password.   It still puzzles me
because it seems they were only on one machine and I had five machines go
down which resembles a virus.   I shudder to think that a virus could do
something like this on network scale.

Mike Hensel

Director, MLIS

London Public Library