[OPLINTECH] InfoTek SCAM

Bill Hardison bhardison at norweld.org
Thu Oct 3 09:14:44 EDT 2013

One of our member libraries was directly contacted by someone from InfoTek
(not InfoTech) here is a excerpt from an email we recieved from the
director.

Last week I was contacted by a man that sounded like he was from India
> saying that I am a tech support customer of Info Tech and that I pay
> $200.00 annually for this service.  I told him that I have never worked
> with a vendor with that name and do not have an annual maintenance
> agreement.  He was rude and kept insisting that I do.  He wanted me to
> access something on my computer while we were talking and I said no.  He
> was irritated when I told him  I was going to check with the regional
> library system and the State Library of Ohio.  He said, are you reporting
> me?  You will be sorry.
>
> What the heck? Have you heard from any other libraries about something
> like this?  If this is part of the State Library of Ohio or the Regional
> Library System?  If so,  please enlighten me.

This is a known scam.  There is a warning page on the legitimate InfoTech
website.  http://www.infotech.us/eula/181-scam-warning

Here are a couple of excerpts from a microsoft.com page on the same subject:

Cybercriminals often use publicly available phone directories so they might
> know your name and other personal information when they call you. They
> might even guess what operating system you're using.

Once they've gained your trust, they might ask for your user name and
> password or ask you to go to a website to install software that will let
> them access your computer to fix it. Once you do this, your computer and
> your personal information is vulnerable.

*Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.*

Here are some of the organizations that cybercriminals claim to be from:

>    - Windows Helpdesk
>    - Windows Service Center
>    - Microsoft Tech Support
>    - Microsoft Support
>    - Windows Technical Department Support Group
>    - Microsoft Research and Development Team (Microsoft R & D Team)

*How to protect yourself from telephone tech support scams*

If someone claiming to be from Microsoft tech support calls you:

>    - Do not purchase any software or services.
>    - Ask if there is a fee or subscription associated with the "service."
>    If there is, hang up.
>    - Never give control of your computer to a third party unless you can
>    confirm that it is a legitimate representative of a computer support team
>    with whom you are already a customer.
>    - Take the caller's information down and immediately report it to your
>    local authorities.
>    - Never provide your credit card or financial information to someone
>    claiming to be from Microsoft tech support.

[image: v-card QR scan code]
*Bill Hardison*
Computer Services Coordinator
Northwest Regional Library System (NORWELD)
419-352-2903
*Yahoo IM - TechnobraryGeek**

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.*
Miracle Max: The Princess Bride (1987)
 *This message and any response to it may constitute a public record and
thus
may be publicly available to anyone who requests it.*