[OPLINTECH] TechSoup

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu Oct 17 11:39:55 EDT 2013

You also want to read the terms for the donation. Microsoft has included specific terms for public libraries for their software donations .
"Public libraries must either have valid 501(c)(3) nonprofit status or be listed in the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) database. Public libraries may request Microsoft software donations through this program only for use on public access computers or on computers that are used to directly manage either the public access computers or the library's public access program. Participating libraries must also make their collection and basic services available to the population of their legal service area without charges to individual users (excluding incidental fees such as printing charges). If they so choose, libraries may impose charges on users outside the legal service area and may provide products and services (beyond basic services) to the public at large, with or without individual charges. "

If its for a staff only machine you may be in violation of this unless its used to directly manage either the public access computers or the library's public access program.

Your library may be able to get educational pricing through a different vendor for software that can be used on staff machines. Educational pricing is higher than what can be purchased from techsoup but still cheaper than regular pricing.

With that said, its my understanding that CALS are used for servers to allow clients to connect to them. If you were going to use access on an application server/remotedesktop server you would need a CAL that allows a client to connect to the server for that purpose. There are different CALS that cover different things that is reflected in the price of the CAL.
If your going to store the access database file on a windows file server, each  client that connects to the file server would need a CAL regardless if they are using the access database file or other files. Thats my basic/limitied understanding of CALS.

I hope this helps!

-Ed Liddle

Marysville Public Library
http://marysvillelib.org