[OPLINTECH] OPLINTECH Digest, Vol 95, Issue 2

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Sep 16 09:24:12 EDT 2013

First and foremost, while *nix is generally more hardened than
Windows, don't think "virus-free" is a correct or safe assertion. ...for
either Apple devices or GNU/Linux devices. *nix-based devices can be
attacked just as Windows-based devices are. It's simply economies of scale
and cost/benefit. As *nix devices become more prevalent, they become more
and more of an attractive target. We're already starting to see that in
android (which is based on a Linux kernel, which is a variant of GNU, which
could be thought of as a FOSS version of Unix). We've also seen it on the
Apple OS X platforms (based upon Unix). So always take appropriate measures!

That being said, I'm also using free open source Linux-based platforms
where I can get away with it:  back-end servers (file/http/ftp/mail/etc
servers), network perimeter firewalls, and single-purpose kiosk-type
computers (web kiosk/catalog-only computers).  For the most part, though,
the user-facing computers still remain Windows-based computers. Windows is
what the staff/patrons/schools/community still seem to want the most from
the libraries I work with. I'd be happy to put more Linux-based user-facing
computers in, but we just don't quite seem to be there yet, on a wider
scale.

2 cents,

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*