[OPLINTECH] OPLINTECH Digest, Vol 95, Issue 2

Greg Syferd GSyferd at columbuslibrary.org
Mon Sep 16 11:34:49 EDT 2013

I agreed with Chad on this topic.  I'm a die hard Mac user, but in no way would I say they are the best tool for the job.  The majority of customers are going to be familiar with Windows and I don't see that changing any time soon.  Additionally, what's public service staff's ability to answer technical questions?  Are they comfortable with learning a new technology?

Tim, I think you were onto something with your original statement, which I would encourage you to further explore.  All systems have a cost of ownership associated with them.  That's something that should weigh heavily into your decision.

My experience has shown that *nix systems may not have a large capital cost.  However, they require expertise to stay on top of things, and there is constant volatility in the development community that could affect long term support of products.  Macs certainly have a larger capital investment, but you can get long life from them.  However, the cost of integration with other services is likely to be steep.  I think we all know about Windows and it's travails.

My advice, don't make a decision just based on maintenance, virus experiences, etc.  Whenever you insert a new tech into your environment, be sure you've analyzed all the other systems/services that could be impacted.

Good luck!

Greg.