[OPLINTECH] OPLINTECH Digest, Vol 95, Issue 9

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Tue Sep 17 12:09:08 EDT 2013

Unfortunately- this is exactly the conversation about Windows 8. Most of our public access patrons are interested in web browsing-- not so much the OS or any productivity tools. If I keep current, should I expect my public service staff also to keep current? (who's going to tell them ;) ).

Thinking about software, I'd rather ask a user to login to an online account (google) and save documents in the cloud- for further reference. They don't require any high end word processing functionality. Are we not doing them a service by promoting/providing cloud-based computing?

Further we some training here... (a la ECO or Broadband initiatives....) many libraries have been involved with this. Same question, why not take advantage of Google Apps, for example.

So "yes", if there are libraries that have moved away from the travails of windows- that's what I'm looking to model.

Tim

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:34:49 +0000
From: Greg Syferd <GSyferd at columbuslibrary.org>

I agreed with Chad on this topic. I'm a die hard Mac user, but in no way would I say they are the best tool for the job. The majority of customers are going to be familiar with Windows and I don't see that changing any time soon. Additionally, what's public service staff's ability to answer technical questions? Are they comfortable with learning a new technology?

Tim, I think you were onto something with your original statement, which I would encourage you to further explore. All systems have a cost of ownership associated with them. That's something that should weigh heavily into your decision.

My experience has shown that *nix systems may not have a large capital cost. However, they require expertise to stay on top of things, and there is constant volatility in the development community that could affect long term support of products. Macs certainly have a larger capital investment, but you can get long life from them. However, the cost of integration with other services is likely to be steep. I think we all know about Windows and it's travails.

My advice, don't make a decision just based on maintenance, virus experiences, etc. Whenever you insert a new tech into your environment, be sure you've analyzed all the other systems/services that could be impacted.

Good luck!

Greg.