[OPLINTECH] OPLINTECH Digest, Vol 95, Issue 9

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Sep 17 22:24:52 EDT 2013

LOL! Ok semantics then! You said "virus-free" and I translated that to the
more general "malware". When dealing with my libraries, I've long since
stopped trying to clarify "virus" vs "spyware" vs "adware" vs "trojan" vs
"root kit" etc. I still think of them independently, but don't bother
trying to explain the differences to anyone. I just refer to the whole lot
as "malware". They don't care. They just want their computer to work.

I did the unthinkable. I assumed! (Arghh!) Since I haven't seen a true
virus on *any* platform in many years, I assumed you weren't specifically
talking about true viruses and really meant malware in general. Ya got me.
LOL!

That article you linked to could absolutely be true. There very well may
not be any currently known viruses that spread via MacOS (OS X, anyway). In
fact, I'm not sure I've heard of any real *nix-based viruses at all. The
only OSes that I'm completely certain have had viruses developed for them
are Windows and DOS. I also think AmigaOS may have had some back in the
day, too, but not as certain on that one. Pretty sure MacOS (pre-OS X) had
them too. True viruses aren't really all that popular any more...They
haven't really been the best way to spread for quite a few years now.
Nowadays, I think you're much more likely to get malware dropped via
infected websites. Also, gone are the days when it was obvious you had
something nasty in your computer. You don't see the rampant messages
popping up everywhere with porn or what-have-you. Now, stealth is all the
rage. That's where the real money is. The larger the botnet you command,
the more money you can make. When the malware code is poor and obvious, it
gets removed faster. When it's sophisticated, stealthy, and doesn't
interfere with the operation of the computer...it doesn't get
noticed/removed as quickly. Then, of course, you have the state-sponsored
malware....a class all by itself. Good luck with that one!

I like your ideas about being cloud-centric. I've been experimenting with a
Google-based environment for myself for almost a year now. No matter what I
do, though, I still can't seem to completely cut that umbilical cord to a
Windows OS. I keep trying to imagine a patron configuration that would work
in all situations and I just can't do it yet without running on a Windows
OS. Take your example where most public access patrons are interested in
web browsing and not so much the OS. A linux kiosk fits the bill. But that
doesn't work for all patrons that cruise the Internet. Monday, I was
watching some teens playing around on the computers...They ended up playing
Roblox, which requires a Windows platform. So we can't just switch all
Internet stations to linux kiosks without excluding those patrons that
still require a Windows platform...and now the staff have to support or at
least be aware of (which is often bad enough) two different OSes. (Yeah, I
know lots of libraries are already supporting multiple OSes, but the goal
here is to simplify, right?)

I think (hope!) we'll get to a cloud-based everything eventually. It's
going to be bumpy getting there, though! Google Apps, Microsoft's Office
Web Apps will definitely help in this arena. Keep an eye on ChromeOS and
the Chrome browser itself, too. Some very interesting things going on there
and hints of more to come.

It's late, and I think I'm rambling. If I've completely missed the point
and gone off on my own little tangent, I apologize!!! Just ignore me and
I'll wander off muttering into a corner somewhere.  :-)

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*