[OPLINTECH] Antivirus

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Aug 27 14:09:47 EDT 2014

I haven't followed up on this lead and don't know if there is any truth to
it. Nor do I know any details. Perhaps someone else can fill in the blanks:

I seem to recall reading something a few weeks ago about Symantec Anti
Virus software. It was mentioning the changing landscape in virus
detection/prevention. I seem to recall the statement that SEP v12.x is
probably going to be the last version of anti-virus software as we know it
from Symantec. I also seem to recall a comment along the lines of
"anti-virus software as we know it is a dead technology". The indication
was that there is a new and better strategy for anti-virus/malware software
in the works.

Lending some possible credence to this (as opposed to me dreaming it up
some night) is the fact that Symantec really hasn't put out any significant
version updates that I'm aware of to their software in recent years.

The tie-in is:  Will you be stuck in a three-year contract if my rumor
proves true and the current a/v strategy is "dead"...and replaced with a
new and popular strategy used by all the big vendors later this year (just
picking a random date here)?

Honestly, I'm just curious if I totally dreamed it up or if there really is
a kernel of truth there.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*