[OPLINTECH] Reaching out to everyone about PAC computers

Ken Butler hcotech at holmeslib.org
Tue Jul 22 10:14:28 EDT 2014

Fred,

We just replaced ours. We were using WebConverger on some seriously old
hardware - Windows 2000 and older based PCs running on older model pentium
CPUs. We used some old staff computers that were getting a bit too slow for
staff, but would serve fine as a PAC. To lock them down, we use Netkiosk
<http://netkiosk.co.uk/>. This software is free for non profits and
educational use - just apply for a "free" account on their website, and
within 48 hours you should get 20+ free licenses to use their software. For
me, the best part about this software is the ability to whitelist or
blacklist websites on the Kiosk, so that patrons can only view websites
that are directly related to your catalog, or used to get to the catalog.
It also has the option to lock down the browser so that patrons cannot even
type in a URL or access other parts of the computer. They also have a new
"Desktop" version of the Netkiosk software, which allows you to lock a
computer down to only allow use for the applications you specify, which may
be useful for something like a children's game computer or general use
public computer.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Fred Miller Jr. <millerfr at oplin.org> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I’m the IT Service Manager for the Auglaize County Library System here in
> Wapak, OH. Here in the near future I was pondering the idea of replacing a
> lot of our PAC computers at the library and the branches. We use Polaris as
> our ILS.  Currently we’re using small HP thin clients, that are really old,
> at most of the libraries . Was wondering what some of the other libraries
> are using or if anyone has replaced theirs recently what you have replaced
> your old units with. Would love to stay on top of technology and some more
> vibrant for patrons to use for the catalog.
>

> Many Thanks,
>

> *Fred Miller Jr*
>
> IT Service Manager
>
> Auglaize County Public District Library System
>
> p: 419-738-2921 ext. 1011
>
> f:  419-738-5168
>
> w: www.auglaize.oplin.org
>

> *Visit our Library Website! <http://auglaize.oplin.org/>*