[OPLINTECH] Roaming Profiles

Nick Kelley nkelley at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Mon Jun 2 14:53:48 EDT 2014

Hi Tim,

I use roaming profiles and there are lots of problems but my staff is used
to it so I don't want to take it away.

There could be a number of reasons for that. Is the error message something
like "You've been signed into a temporary profile?"

It could be network related. Are you in the correct domain or vlan?

It could be something with the profile. Is it a new profile? Maybe try to
delete are start over again?

Sometimes software is the problem. I had a problem with an old version of
CASSIE that wouldn't let me load profiles properly.

I have also had issues with the registry making my profile a .bak instead
of a usable profile. Here's an article about it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242

Even viruses in the profile will stop it from loading properly.

Sometimes even logging in as a local admin will allow you to delete the
temporary locally created user folder and that may solve the issue.

Sometimes there are funny problems with GPO that may cause issues. Try
looking at the Events if it will let you load a temporary profile. I would
start here if you can.

Nick

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Tim Burns <tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us>
wrote:

> I'd like to be able to access my documents from any workstation I log
> into. Is there a concise explanation for this? I tried a procedure provided
> on a microsoft website, with little success.
>
> I have two servers on site running Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server
> 2008. In Active Directory I set my profile to \\SERVERNAME\Users\tburns,
> and in the lower setting (x) U:  to same for home directory.
>
> --
>
> Tim Burns
> Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County
> http://birchard.org/ContactBPLBurnsTim.htm

Nick W. Kelley
Technology Services Manager
Avon Lake Public Library