[OPLINTECH] Managing public computers for a public library

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.org
Fri Jun 6 12:41:55 EDT 2014

Hello all,

Daniel Nixon's great analogy about public computers and books (see the coupons.com thread from earlier today) got me thinking about how much different managing library networks and public computers is from managing tech for just about any other work setting. I've spoken to IT people (outside of libraries) who are horrified that we typically let people, off the street, do/go wherever they want, stick flash drives into the USB ports, etc. But, that's what public libraries do. It's a very different environment in many ways.

I'd like to write a blog post about some of these kinds of issues. If you could tell non-tech staff anything about the difficulties of managing public computer access, what would it be?

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Laura

--

Laura Solomon, MCIW, MLS
Library Services Manager , Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)