[OPLINTECH] Managing public computers for a public library

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Fri Jun 6 13:02:17 EDT 2014

Laura
I have a quote taped to my wall which reads:
“For some people the library computer will be the only computer they ever own.”
As much as I have a love/hate relationship with that idea IMHO you have to strive to make the patron’s two-hour experience the best you possibly can. And then have the computer ready for the next patron. Wash, rinse and repeat for 12 hours a day 12 months a year.
So, over the years we have evolved to a computer with very simple security policies and a way (such as Deep Freeze) to restore it to the default settings.
We roll out a really nice computer, keep it updated, and have logical restrictions…think of it as a Wabi-Sabi computer i.e. “the best you can do is the best you can do” and there are just some things that aren’t’ going to happen.

PS: I hate every and all iterations of coupon sites. Since in my experience they support themselves by loading a bunch of crapware.

IMHO

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library