[OPLINTECH] Ubuntu

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Mar 3 11:43:56 EST 2014

I've been using ThinStation for browser-only kiosks that remote boot via
PXE from a TFTP server on the network. I reuse any old computer laying
around and yank out the CD/DVD-ROM, floppy and hard drives. Works as a
walk-up Internet kiosk or as an OPAC. Each station is independent and only
requires the TFTP server to get the boot image and the specific computer's
unique configuration, if any. It could boot from a CDROM/hard drive/USB
stick too, but by booting from the network, I don't really care if patrons
mess up the browser; nothing can be permanently saved. And since the image
only has a window manager and Firefox, there's not much else to play with
and/or mess up, so no real need to try to lock it down much.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*