[OPLINTECH] security cameras

Steve Owley sowley at westervillelibrary.org
Wed May 14 13:56:18 EDT 2014

We went with IP cameras, but we put them on their own wires to keep the traffic weight off our internal network.  These things chew up a lot of bandwidth if you want a decent picture.  We used AXIS.

When you consider it, since analog requires a run of coaxial anyway, it does not add too much cost to run CAT5/6 instead, get a couple small/cheap  POE switches, and use a private, physically separate network to feed the information to the video capture server.  When they installed the new cables, I had them run extra cables in case we wanted to add cameras or for any other use.  We have found that a prudent investment, as we have put in POE clocks and added more wifi access points using those extra cables at great FTE savings.

Hope that helps,

Steve