[OPLINTECH] PC Purchases...Single or Multiple

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Fri Nov 21 10:10:58 EST 2014

I think multiple purchases is always a good idea.

Not just for PC's but printers, copiers etc.
Then only 1 or 2 sets of expendables need maintained.
If you have 5 different printers, you need 5 different ink or toner cartridges.

We usually buy PC's from the same local vendor, for many reasons.
He works with many libraries which is very beneficial to them.
He selects the correct & best parts for the money, intended purpose, and MTBF.
EG: Not all staff need a DVD/CD drive or a 3TB hard drive, so why pay extra cost?
He burns them in before delivery.
Chances are he will have back up parts, if needed.
And, only vary rarely do they break. MTBF again.
You don''t always get this from stores.

There are usually ways to troubleshoot, or at least diagnose a problem, for
individual PC's  without having the exact part on hand.
Exceptions of course, but I don't often throw one away as not repairable.

Email Signature

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library  <http://sunbury.cool-cat.org>
44 Burrer Dr.Map  <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.243961,+-82.863007>