[OPLINTECH] Selecting a backup solution for my position

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Mon Sep 8 12:09:05 EDT 2014

Interesting question.

For my first 10 years working at the library I was frequently gone.
Could be days, weeks or even months and in the US or not.
Many times I could be not reached.

The staff muddled on and survived.
For relatively minor stuff they figured it out themselves, swapping PC's,
shutting some down, cycling power, and so forth.
Just doing what seemed right at the time, just not always for the best, of course.
If a major problem, they called the big guns at Level9.

Our system is more complex, now but staff usually does the same thing.

When we do have problems,  I will explain the solution (depending on the
situation) in hopes the person learns.
The staff have varying abilities and some now manage many problems themselves.
But there are  still unique problems with complex enough solutions you can't
train someone to fix.

Certain staff have taken over some duties, with mixed results.

Have given thought to training, but much would be rather obvious.
Clearing paper jams, cables connected, clearing print buffers, power cycling, etc.
More in depth troubleshooting might rarely be needed and already forgotten by then.
Advanced hardware type troubleshooting may be difficult for non-technical people
to grasp.

I too, am rarely sick, don't take vacations and generally close to the library.
So usually on call. Except Wednesday's for about 2 hours to Skyline lunch in
Westerville.

To me, the ideal solution is at least two 'experts' on staff, just not always
feasible.
Next is probably the 3rd partner as Chad suggests.
I usually agree with him as we have been associated professionally since 1996.
      (Un-professionally, a bit longer)

Possible you might find some retired person with a technical background
interested in helping?
Email Signature

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library  <http://sunbury.cool-cat.org>