[OPLINTECH] New WiFi connection stats reporting / captured portals

Joe knuevejo at oplin.org
Tue Feb 24 15:26:40 EST 2015

Here's some interesting guidance that Colorado is giving their libraries:

http://www.lrs.org/data-tools/public-libraries/strategies-tracking-reporting-wifi-usage/

It looks like on the low cost end, they are advocating using a free
program called network scanner, and doing a sampling for the sake of the
requirement.  The direct link to the product they are advocating is:

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

This sounds like the closest thing I've seen to what Chad is asking for,
something he can recommend to his clients that is cheap and that they
can implement with a minimal amount of extra help.

Depending on how much effort I want to put into this, as a DD-WRT user,
it looks like I could copy a script to my routers that would do the
counting and email the results.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=618965

This would need some testing, since the script was posted to a forum
nearly 4 years ago, however, it looks like pretty straight forward linux
scripting, so it seems likely it would work still. I suspect I will
either see if I can do something with DHCP logging on my firewall or do
a sampling with this SoftPerfect product.

Have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director