[OPLINTECH] Public Internet Use

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Jan 6 13:14:22 EST 2015

I'm only an outsourced tech for the Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library, but I'm
replying since I'm familiar with their computer use policies and
they consider me to be their local tech:

HBML has three primary public Internet access segments:  public WiFi, a
computer lab for adult use, and a set of teen computers. There are no
"walk-up stations" other than OPAC-only. All Internet access, including
public WiFi, is content filtered for CIPA compliance.

Anyone is welcome to use public WiFi on their own devices.

Do you allow 'guest' access and what are the criteria?

In the adult computer lab, computers are logged in using a patron's ILS
barcode number. The patron's ILS account must be in good standing (ie. no
fines or an otherwise flagged account). If a transient patron wants to use
the computers, there is a set of "guest" barcode numbers that a staff
person can temporarily assign to the patron in exchange for a driver's car
keys/license/other identifier. (End result is "guest" access with staff
interaction and approval.)

How do you handle juveniles?

Teens have regular interaction with a nearby staff desk. They use an
informal combination of first-come-first-serve, "You've been on for a while
and someone else is waiting.", and "Hey, Johnny, don't you have a fine on
your account? You can't use the computers." The ratio of computers:teens
and staff:teens is decent enough and the teen community isn't too big that
this informal system still works well enough and keeps a good rapport going
with the teens. Plus, they tend to rat each other out, so that helps.

Is there any difference in time limits or anything else for guests?

There are no time limits on any of the computers aside from the informal
limits on the teen computers when others are waiting. There are currently
enough computers in the adult lab to handle peak capacity, so time limits
are a non-issue.

Do you have separate, non-internet, computers for word processing or
> anything else?

All adult lab and teen computers have the same capabilities. All are
capable of Internet browsing as well as word processing, etc. To me, word
processing and Internet access goes hand-in-hand so it's never made sense
to try to isolate the two. I only do that if a library has a specific
reason to do so (none of my libraries currently do that).

HTH,

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*