[OPLINTECH] Windows Hangs at Please Wait or Welcome

dkamnitzer at worthingtonlibraries.org dkamnitzer at worthingtonlibraries.org
Thu Jul 9 14:12:56 EDT 2015

Hi Mindy,

	There are a few things that could cause these hang-ups.

Your Library loads a bunch of Group Policy Objects: When you can log into one of the machines having this issue, go to a DOS prompt, and run gpresult /H c:\temp.html. What this will do is create a file named temp.html at the root of your C:\ drive. If you open that up you can see if there are any Group Policies that are failing to load or are having issues. This could cause hang times because if a GPO is failing it is waiting to see if it will work.

Your Library attaches a lot of printers during login: If a printer is not named correctly in a script, this could cause slow load times.

If you have DHCP enabled: If you are using DHCP, and you have not reserved all your static addressed machines, a conflict could be occurring, and could cause major slow loading times.

A great way to see if there are errors in general, is to go the Event Viewer (In windows 7, just type Event Viewer in the search window from the start button) and look in the Windows Logs/Application and System. These tend to log alerts and failures, and might give you a starting point in what might be happening.

Darren Kamnitzer
Network Administrator

Find yourself here.
www.worthingtonlibraries.org