[OPLINTECH] AntiVirus suggestions

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Jul 30 22:20:22 EDT 2015

AV Comparatives does a good job of comparing most of the big names in AV.
It has been several years since I really looked closely at the reports, but
for the most part the biggest players, Symantec (Endpoint Protection)
included, all rated pretty closely as far as hit rates go. However,  I did
just now glance at the recent reports and saw that Symantec notably hasn't
submitted their product for evaluation in the last big round-up.

I haven't compared products lately myself, but I suspect perhaps SEP has
remained pretty static while the others have been polishing up. But I think
that the AV engine still probably ranks equally as well as the others,
though. They all seem to have that part down pat. (The AV engine is really
the most important part after all!)

As previously mentioned, no AV is perfect. I think of it more like a litmus
test. If a computer trips the alarm, I clean with SEP first, then with
Spybot Search & Destroy.  Then I'll often run an online scan from another
big name AV. If I know for sure there's still malware on a computer, I keep
hopping to different big names and doing their online scans until I get it
out. I think the record so far has been four different online scanners
before I gave up and manually disabled a particularly hidden(/new?)
self-repairing one.

But at any rate, you're asking about recommendations for patrons, not
enterprise level stuff. For the crap foisted upon consumers, I usually
refer individuals to AVG Free. It seems to be as effective as and no more
bloated than the others.

I use a stand alone config of SEP on my own Windows laptop. It's non-fluffy
clean and comfortable.

http://www.av-comparatives.org

2 cents (maybe 4),
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools