[OPLINTECH] AntiVirus suggestions

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Thu Jul 30 14:53:18 EDT 2015

I get asked from time to time what anti-virus software I use at home. I usually respond with Linux, since I run Linux as my main OS on my home computer.
I don't like to make recommendations for specific anti-virus products. I don't want to be held responsible if what I recommend doesn't work, which from time to time most of them in the past have had their share of problems when it comes to false positives (getting rid of key windows system files), as well as not catching the latest threat. I typically say there isn't an antivirus software available that will catch 100% of everything and something is better than nothing. Some products are better than others, but a lot depends on the user. Then I typically name off some of the free ones that have paid counterparts. (AVG, Avast, MSSE, Defender, etc) In some instances the free windows defender might be the best option especially if the person already has an expired/outdated AV product. At least defender will get updates from time to time via windows updates, assuming the machine is setup to automatically update.

-Ed Liddle

Marysville Public Library
http://marysvillelib.org