[OPLINTECH] Metalogic Voyager Scanners

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Jun 17 11:37:51 EDT 2015

AFAIK, you'd need two things for this feature to work:
1) A scanner that can be programmed to beep in different ways (like BEL on
your particular scanner)
2) Software (Polaris, in your case) that can be programmed to send a
specific string of characters to the scanner...for instance, a specific
string of characters before/after scanning a bar code when in "check-in"
mode and a different string of characters when in "check-out" mode.....or
something like that.

And really, probably a third:
3) You'd need to use the same scanner all over because even if your
software does support sending a string of characters to the scanner at
certain times, different scanners may require different codes!

So probably the first thing you'd need to do would be to find out if
Polaris can send characters to a scanner. Without that, I don't expect you
can achieve what you're looking for.

I find it doubtful that the ILS software can do what you want.
Programmatically, I'd think it would be easier and more universally
hardware supported to implement a feature where the ILS software chimes the
PC's speaker for certain things rather than try to control the scanner's
beep. So if a feature like that existed in the ILS, I wouldn't expect it to
be a beep from the scanner, but something from the speaker instead.

Hopefully I'm completely off base and you can do what you're looking to do!

WRT your second question, I've been using a linear imaging scanner that can
read cell phone screens. Specifically, I've been using the Honeywell
Hyperion 1300g (p/n: 1300G-2USB). It seems to be fine for library duty and
not overly expensive at around $135.

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*