[OPLINTECH] OPLIN e-mail failure

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Mar 9 13:42:50 EDT 2015

Thanks! That's actually some of the information I've been looking for. It
answers the question of whether or not OPLIN will be providing a mail
server for libraries going forward. It's been very convenient having OPLIN
Support handling e-mail, but if that was going away eventually anyway, then
you're right:  we can start looking to alternatives, using a meaningful
domain name.

Some libraries are setting up a few gmail accounts, but the accounts are
often tied to individuals, sometimes incorporating the individual's name
and the library's initials or whatever. That's all well and good for now,
but it could cause a problem down the road if one of those individuals gets
sacked and decides to use the account for malicious intent. The
organization has no ability to terminate or lock the account! I'm sure
they're not thinking along those lines right now, though.

I'm still hoping you'll set up a temp server in the short term just to
receive the mail that they'll otherwise miss. That would go a ways towards
giving them more time to plan and ease their transition. But this gives us
some guidance.

I try not to stress too much about problems. Go ahead and go home. Relax.
Get some shut-eye.
The problems will still be there tomorrow. ;-)

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*