[OPLINTECH] Counting Wireless Patrons

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu May 28 13:08:03 EDT 2015

Ron, your hit rate seems pretty low. Might be worth tweaking your
refresh_patterns in squid. In case you want to compare/tweak, here is a
copy-paste of my current standard refresh patterns for squid:

#
# L9N note:  These custom refresh patterns are used instead of the
pre-configured patterns selectable from the pfSense
# webconfigurator because the pre-configured patterns don't use ACLs to
limit the "range_offset_limit none" to just the Windows
# Update and Symantec update domains. Having this value set globally seems
to break at least Netflix's streaming
# (of _resumed_ videos) on Android devices and who knows what else.
#

# Windows Update refresh_pattern
acl windowsupdate dstdomain windowsupdate.microsoft.com .
update.microsoft.com download.windowsupdate.com
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com images.metaservices.microsoft.com
c.microsoft.com www.download.windowsupdate.com wustat.windows.com
crl.microsoft.com sls.microsoft.com productactivation.one.microsoft.com
ntservicepack.microsoft.com
range_offset_limit none windowsupdate
refresh_pattern -i microsoft.com/.*\.(cab|exe|ms[i|u|f]|asf|wm[v|a]|dat|zip)
4320 80% 43200 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern -i
windowsupdate.com/.*\.(cab|exe|ms[i|u|f]|asf|wm[v|a]|dat|zip) 4320 80%
43200 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern -i windows.com/.*\.(cab|exe|ms[i|u|f]|asf|wm[v|a]|dat|zip)
4320 80% 43200 reload-into-ims

# Symantec refresh_pattern
acl symantecupdates dstdomain liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com
symantecliveupdate.com securityresponse.symantec.com
range_offset_limit none symantecupdates
refresh_pattern -i
liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com/.*\.(cab|exe|dll|msi|7z|zip) 10080 100%
43200 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern -i symantecliveupdate.com/.*\.(cab|exe|dll|msi|7z|zip)
10080 100% 43200 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern -i securityresponse.symantec.com/.*\.zip 10080 100% 43200
reload-into-ims

# Google updates (ex. Chrome)
refresh_pattern -i pack.google.com/.*\.(exe|crx) 10080 80% 43200
override-expire override-lastmod ignore-no-cache ignore-reload
reload-into-ims ignore-private

# Apple
refresh_pattern -i apple.com/.*\.(pkg|dmg|dat) 10080 80% 43200
ignore-no-cache  ignore-reload  reload-into-ims

# Cache Adobe updates better
refresh_pattern armdl.adobe.com/.*\.(exe|msp|msi) 10800  80%  43200
ignore-no-store ignore-reload reload-into-ims

refresh_pattern -i \.(gif|png|jpg|jpeg|ico|bmp|tiff|webp|bif|ver|pict)
220000 90% 300000 override-expire reload-into-ims ignore-reload
ignore-no-cache ignore-private ignore-no-store

refresh_pattern -i
\.(swf|js|wav|css|class|dat|zsci|do|ver|advcs|woff|eps|ttf|svg|svgz|ps|acsm)
220000 90% 300000 override-expire reload-into-ims ignore-reload
ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private

refresh_pattern -i \.(xml|flow) 0 90% 100000 reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern -i \.(json|json\?) 1440 90% 5760 reload-into-ims

refresh_pattern -i
\.(bin|deb|rpm|drpm|exe|zip|tar|tgz|bz2|ipa|bz|ram|rar|bin|uxx|gz|crl|msi|dll|hz|cab|psf|vidt|apk|wtex|hz)
220000 90% 500000 override-expire reload-into-ims ignore-reload
ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private ignore-must-revalidate

refresh_pattern -i \.(ppt|ppt\?|pptx|doc|docx|pdf|xls|xlsx|csv|txt) 220000
90% 200000 override-expire reload-into-ims ignore-reload ignore-no-cache
ignore-no-store ignore-private ignore-must-revalidate

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*