[OPLINTECH] Internet Content Filter Evaluations

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Oct 2 14:04:28 EDT 2015

> Free + OPLIN = Me Happy

Here too. The few times OpenDNS has incorrectly blocked something it
has been easy to whitelist the URL

I suppose their community-supported domain tagging system must work
pretty well considering the vast number of web sites, but a couple of
times I've run across something which was wrongly categorized and my
attempts to use their system to request a review has been ineffective.
(the Diesel Sweeties web comic is not pornography, seriously:
https://domain.opendns.com/dieselsweeties.com).

My other beef with OpenDNS is that they don't provide any information
about how, why, or when a site was identified as a malware site. A few
times someone has requested that a site identified by OpenDNS as
malware be unblocked. I wish I had more information to provide the
user about why I can't do it.

Those are pretty minor complaints in the grand scheme of things though.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries