[OPLINTECH] Internet Content Filter Evaluations

Tyra Ealy EalyT at WTCPL.ORG
Fri Oct 2 14:07:29 EDT 2015

Is it possible to have different blocking configurations with OPLIN's solution?  Adult / Children /Staff?

Tyra L. Ealy
Information Technology Manager
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
(330) 399-8807, ext. 140
http://www.wtcpl.org

-----Original Message-----
From: oplintech-bounces at lists.oplin.org [mailto:oplintech-bounces at lists.oplin.org] On Behalf Of Owen Leonard
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 2:04 PM
To: OPLINTECH
Subject: Re: [OPLINTECH] Internet Content Filter Evaluations

> Free + OPLIN = Me Happy

Here too. The few times OpenDNS has incorrectly blocked something it has been easy to whitelist the URL

I suppose their community-supported domain tagging system must work pretty well considering the vast number of web sites, but a couple of times I've run across something which was wrongly categorized and my attempts to use their system to request a review has been ineffective.
(the Diesel Sweeties web comic is not pornography, seriously:
https://domain.opendns.com/dieselsweeties.com).

My other beef with OpenDNS is that they don't provide any information about how, why, or when a site was identified as a malware site. A few times someone has requested that a site identified by OpenDNS as malware be unblocked. I wish I had more information to provide the user about why I can't do it.

Those are pretty minor complaints in the grand scheme of things though.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries