[OPLINTECH] Question about trends

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Fri Sep 11 13:26:05 EDT 2015

So far, here are the thoughts I've gotten to my previous question (tech
trends--what's important to pay attention to right now?).  *Agree?
Disagree? Add others?*

   - Device training for public
   - Public "copier" services; wireless printing, scanning, faxing
   - Maker spaces, particularly 3d printing
   - Service mobility, making services available whenever, wherever, on
   whatever device
   - Virtual servers
   -  Digital content in story times. Smart Boards, iPads, etc.Children's
   librarians are starting to do app reviews and recommendations
   for parents.
   - Responsive design
   - Digital collection management. Rhetoric around the battle over library
   terms and pricing for ebooks has cooled, but the war wages on. More
   and more content is moving to author-controlled, and we struggle to have
   the mechanism to collect and disseminate it.
   - Integration. API's are making it easier for libraries to make access
   to our disparate digital collections more seamless. This will add more
   energy to the increasing use of digital purchases and the declining
   circulation stats of our physical collections.
   - Coding. We need our own developers. Admin commitment to
   this still lags behind.