[OPLINTECH] wireless printing @ libraries

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Feb 9 11:24:26 EST 2016

I haven't used any commercial (or FOSS) products for printing from
wireless, but I've implemented a poor-man's solution before at a library or
two. It's not good for libraries that want to closely track or attribute
prints or ensure every print gets charged, though. It's just a well-known
printer (like a basic business-grade HP laser printer...something that most
devices will know about and have drivers readily available for) sitting on
the same network segment and subnet as the wifi and wireless devices. If
the wireless devices have printing capability, they'll be able to see the
printer directly and print to it. Naturally, of course, there are no
controls here other than the fact that the printer is probably sitting at a
circ or reference desk. Like I said...poor-man's solution. Generally okish
for smaller libraries.

If you're going to pay for a solution, though, I personally like the idea
of print from anywhere. That way the patron doesn't have to actually BE at
the library. They can print from their device wherever they happen to be
(assuming Internet access) and then go to the library to pick it up. Maybe
it stays queued until the patron is physically at the library and the job
gets released. Helps push foot traffic to the library. I haven't had strong
demand for print solutions from my libraries yet, though, so haven't really
looked into FOSS or commercial products to handle the function.

2 cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*