[OPLINTECH] Thin Clients?

Joe Knueven joe at gtownlibrary.net
Wed Jun 22 13:00:36 EDT 2016

I would have to give a qualified no for my library.

We don't have thin clients, in the sense of a server controlled system, but we do have computers that were originally intended to be thin clients.  We've bought them very cheaply, plugged in a low profile USB stick for a hard drive and bam, a $50 computer that is useful for an OPAC or a self-checkout station (our ILS has a webbased self-check interface that's very light on graphical complexity), use less electric than any ordinary computer and is virtually worthless from a theft standpoint.. (even checking email at yahoo or gmail is tedious because of the ads and the lack of graphical processing power).

Because they are so inexpensive we're able to have a couple lying around so if the public does find a way to destroy one, or if it dies of natural causes, I can take a preimaged spare, plug it in and have the workstation back in service in minutes.

Have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven

Director