[OPLINTECH] VOiP feeler

Tim Burns tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us
Thu Nov 3 12:28:37 EDT 2016

Dear Brain Trust,

Today I am interested in (reconnoitering) a replacement phone system.

The way I understand it, my library (4 geographical locations) currently has 4 POTs circuits connected to a NEC-Aspire system. (I want to call it PBX, but it may not be exactly that.)

We have (not less than) 30 desk stations. We use voice mail, and an automated attendant gets first crack at incoming calls.

Please help me with sizing a system, finding a vendor, understanding quirks and gotchas of VOip…  Value is a big driver for this project.

I would be thrilled to train and understand on-site configuration, and expansion (using phones purchased at discounts … ). I like to think I can handle this as a do-it-yourselfer.  (I don’t think I’m going to the SIP-server level … unless you tell me it’s okay)

Wondering about eRate and OPLIN ramifications?? Internet is internet, right? Experiences and horror stories are welcome.

Tim Burns
Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County Ohio
tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us<mailto:tim.burns at birchard.lib.oh.us>
telephone: (419) 334-7101 extension: 239