[OPLINTECH] Color Laser

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Sep 6 11:23:11 EDT 2016

I agree with Tim. HP is my printer of choice for networked printers. Just
too many bad experiences in the past with other brands. ...not necessarily
bad hardware, but lackluster firmware/software when it comes to networking.
Truth be told, though, I haven't really used anything other than HP or
Ricoh (under various brands) for quite a few years, so the others may have
bettered themselves in the meantime. Even so, I still prefer HP. Their
equipment has proven to be very reliable over the years and their
software/drivers are ubiquitous, with a wide selection of their printers
being supported on a wide selection of operating systems and devices (often
natively). So when trying to cater to the widest range of wireless devices,
I prefer HP.

Coincidentally, I purchased the exact printer Tim mentioned a few years ago
for my own office use. I've run maybe five sets of toner through it so far
and it has held up very well. I'd buy it again. It does have wireless
capabilities as well as wired, although I have WiFi disabled on mine since
I only print via the wired network.

Based on your desired use, you might consider keeping the printer wholly in
your (insecure) wireless network rather than connecting both networks to
the printer. Use a firewall to allow the staff network to print to the
printer, but don't allow the printer to otherwise initiate any access to
the staff network. Otherwise the printer becomes a potential security
breach. It's a network device that has security vulnerabilities just like
any other networked device. However, it's not likely to get patched
(ever...let alone on a regular schedule). If a patron decides to attack it
and it has unfettered access to the staff network, then it can become a
jump point giving the attacker access to your staff network. If it doesn't
have any direct access to the staff network, however, then you're not much
worse off even if it does get used for nefarious purposes. (You should
already be treating the patron wifi network as insecure and you're
protecting your staff network from it just like you protect your staff
network from the Internet.)

Just food for thought.

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*