[OPLINTECH] Computer Replacement/Cycling

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Feb 6 12:26:14 EST 2017

You might possibly get better pricing from a large OEM (like Dell, for
instance) due to their economies of scale. But I'd like to put a plug in
for whatever local system builder you might have in your community. They
may or may not be able to help with your overall networking needs, but as a
local builder, you'd be keeping some money in the community by supporting
the local business. You might also be able to design computers that meet
your exact needs and optimize the cost/performance of each computer. You
might also get a little faster/easier repairs since you can physically
glare the rep. in the eye as you demonstrate the problem.

Personally, I build custom computers for my own clients, but I don't
actually particularly like it. It's a bit of a pain in the rear and I lose
money by doing it when I factor in research, sales, and build time. But I
do it to ensure that we're putting money into the parts of the computer
where it'll do the most good. For instance, I've been using SSDs
exclusively for years now. We can replace an industry-standard overly-large
traditional hard drive with an accurately-sized SSD (especially in patron
computers) and keep the cost about the same, but *hugely* improve
performance. It's getting better out there now, but when I started doing
that, it was pretty much impossible to find a large OEM that had a
reasonably-priced computer with an SSD. So it was better to custom build
them. (I'm also not a fan of all the crapware that comes pre-installed on
most big branded computers.)

YMMV with your local system builders, but it might be worth talking to them
at least to see what they can handle and what they'd be willing to do for
you. It's good to have options.

2 cents and good luck!

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*