[OPLINTECH] Optical Drives

Tim Burns via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Wed Jun 14 12:24:58 EDT 2017

Agreed. My latest refresh went from machines with not only optical drives, but also a variety of card readers, to SSD and only a few DVD burners. Dell must have had an overstock on card readers. I estimate I went from 100% down to less than 40% with optical drive, in public-facing systems. (25% in the order for new boxes)

My work desktop (2013 iMac) does not have an optical drive and it has not been an issue.

Tim Burns
Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County Ohio
<snip>. I have already seen most libraries making the switch over to SSD drives instead of using HDD drive. I guess it would make more sense to get a computer with a smaller footprint with a security attachment and then opt in for a couple of external optical drives if someone wants to use one.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred