[OPLINTECH] Library PAC computer equipment

Chad Neeper via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Mon May 8 13:26:21 EDT 2017

Deja Vu! I'm pretty sure I've said this before about Joe's comments:

I've been doing exactly what Joe is doing (with the NUCs this time). The
Kensington locks deter *theft of opportunity*. I simply lock the NUC to the
LCD and have done with it. Tethering the NUC to the LCD makes it highly
inconvenient to surreptitiously tuck the NUC into a backpack. However,
K-locks will NOT protect against a smash-and-grab or a pre-planned theft.
If you tether them to a sturdy object like a desk, then a smash-and-grab
thief can pretty easily yank the lock off of the device it's protecting. It
will damage the device in the process (not usually fatal to the device),
but it becomes obvious it was stolen.  If the theft was pre-planned, a pair
of pliers will easily cut the wire.

WRT the Compute Stick, I'm thinking along the lines of either
finding/making a NUC-sized metal/plastic cage to screw onto the VESA mounts
or maybe secure the Compute Stick to the bottom side of the desk and just
running a video cable up to the LCD. I like the cage idea because we could
just toss the Stick into the cage and it could be big enough to coil up
some of the cables inside as well to keep things tidy. I'm definitely open
to other ideas and/or specific cage options!

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*