[OPLINTECH] Library PAC computer equipment

Joe Knueven via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Mon May 8 12:48:38 EDT 2017

If I needed the extra horsepower out of a PAC, I would probably go the route Chad described. (and take my chances on nefarious folks figuring out where the computer was..)
Speaking of NUCs, If you are especially worried about theft, if you go up to the lowest end NUC, plus cheap ram, cheap SSD, you can buy a laptop cable lock like:

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-64068F-MicroSaver-Laptop-Business/dp/B00000K4KH/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494261420&sr=1-3&keywords=kensington+lock

you’re somewhere between $230-250 per unit all in and you’d have to add 10-15 minutes per unit to install the SSD and RAM, though you’d have something that’d be a lot less likely to walk away.

I’m transitioning our public computers to a mid-range NUC, combined with the cable lock, and have been happy with the results.  From what I’ve seen, I think most of the public don’t even realize that the PC is hanging off the back of the monitor.

Have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director