[OPLINTECH] Library PAC computer equipment

Chad Neeper via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Mon May 8 12:27:58 EDT 2017

We just evaluated Intel Compute Stick (~$150) + free Porteus kiosk (running
Chromium browser, but can choose FireFox also) and found the combo to work
really well "out of the box". Had it configured and up and running inside
of ten minutes. Probably the biggest problem will be finding a way to
secure the Compute Stick to keep it from growing legs since it's about the
size of two USB memory sticks.

Next biggest question is longevity: It has a 1-year warranty. But
countering that is the fact that the operating system running on it is a
feather compared to Windows, which the Compute Stick is also capable of
running. So the hardware won't be overly taxed and won't generate excess
heat (the hardware killer). Plus, the solution is very cheap in both
hardware and config time, so even if it needs replaced slightly more often,
it's still more cost effective than most other options (in my situation,
but YMMV).

I definitely like the combination. I ordered (nearly) the lowest-spec'ed
Compute Stick I could get and the hardware is still overkill for the
Porteus kiosk software we're looking at using.

Cheap enough to buy one to play with!

2 cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*