[OPLINTECH] OPLIN Core Changes and the Path Forward

Karl Jendretzky via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Tue May 30 13:11:52 EDT 2017

All,

Recently, the OPLIN network has been growing rapidly, and I wanted to send
out a quick message about what I think is an interesting change.

On May 9th, the OPLIN network activated its autonomous system number and
swung out from behind the State of Ohio network, to directly connect to
OARnet. This newfound freedom takes us from a 10Gbps internet link, which
was shared with other state agencies, to a dedicated 10Gbps internet link
for just the OPLIN network.

Even better is how easily this new connection can be scaled to meet growing
bandwidth demands. This summer we'll be adding a second physical 10Gbps
circuit, pushing our logical circuit and thus potential throughput to
20Gbps. Later this year, when our redundant core is in full production, two
additional 10Gbps links will be lit, giving us a maximum throughput of
40Gbps via two physically separate redundant core routers for reliability.

My goal, as always, is to keep the libraries' network access running as
smoothly as possible. I expect us to be well-positioned for the better part
of the next decade with just these changes alone.

Karl Jendretzky
IT Manager - Ohio Public Library Information Network
(614) 728-5252karl at oplin.ohio.gov