[OPLINTECH] IE on public computers?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Apr 18 15:03:32 EDT 2018

IE is so old and vulnerable that it's definitely a "shame on you" situation
for the web devs that still have websites that require IE.

That being said, it's invariably old websites with very specific and custom
front- or back-ends that still require IE. These are usually sites like
perhaps the nursing site mentioned above which caters to a very specific
audience and has a very specific interface, making it difficult and
expensive to change. I also run into the IE requirement for devices with
embedded software like HVAC controllers and some old networking
equipment...also difficult or impossible to upgrade without completely
replacing the equipment and sometimes creating a cascade of costs in the
process.

By now, most/all *general-purpose* websites have broken from the old
IE-bent and have now swung towards being developed to a Chrome-assumed
browser. (Will we *ever* learn from our history and mistakes?!  We'll
eventually be in the same boat when whatever replaces Chrome comes along
and all the websites developed towards Chrome start having problems!)

At any rate, I've been removing links to IE myself on patron computers. I
leave FF, Chrome, and Edge available, with Chrome preferred by most. But IE
still lurks in Windows 10, if you know where to look. So anyone with
specific needs still at least has at least a *chance* of success.

FWIW,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*