[OPLINTECH] HP Desktop Computer Problem

Ed Liddle eliddle at marysvillelib.org
Mon Dec 10 18:57:29 EST 2018

Assuming the mouse is an optical mouse that lights up, when it doesn't work is the mouse lit up like it normally is? If not, it may be a power setting, look at are the power saving features. If the PC is setup to go to sleep, suspend, etc, after a period of time or the computer user puts it to sleep instead of turning it off, it may be an issue when the computer wakes up. Also check the fast startup in windows, if you are running windows 10 or 8. It is enabled by default. You could try to disable it and see if you notice a difference. With this feature disabled, the computer will do a complete shutdown when it is turned off and not write some stuff to disk that has running that it will load up and resume to make the PC start up faster when the computer is turned back on. So with this feature disabled, the computer will take a little longer to boot up. This has information about disbaling fast startup https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/
This has additional technical information about fast user startup https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/distinguishing-fast-startup-from-wake-from-hibernation

There may also be some USB specific settings in the bios to check out and see what they are set to. Some computers will let you leave the USB ports powered on when the computer is turned off so you can charge devices from them. If your PC has features like this you may want to try changing the settings to see if it make a difference.

We purchased a small form factor HP Elite Desk 800 G4 this year and have not experienced this issue.

I did find this info from doing a quick google search that mentions it has PS2 Ports on it and to try using a PS2 to USB adapter for a similar issue, no usb keyboard or mouse  when installing windows 7   https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Elitedesk-705-G3-Sff-No-Keyboard-or-Mouse-W7-Build/td-p/6055470

I hope this helps!

-Ed Liddle
Marysville Public Library